This Information Sheet is being circulated to all members and parents to keep you up to date with the work of our centre and to advise of arrangements for our 2021/22 season.
Firstly we would like to congratulate our members at all levels who have successfully competed both their Certificate of Achievement and their full Awards. All expeditions are now complete and we just have the Gold Presentations to arrange (a separate email will be issued to Gold members and parents to explain arrangements for this).
As noted in an earlier communication our current Centre Manager, Andy Allan, has moved to Norfolk and is therefore stepping down from the role. Andy will continue to be involved as Chair of the Trustees.
We are pleased to confirm that Emma Deighton Brown has been appointed by the Trustees as Centre Manager. Emma is currently our eDofE Manager and we wish Emma well in her new role. Emma can be contacted at : email@example.com
2021 / 22 Season
We are currently finalising arrangements for the 2021 / 22 season, and we have a number of vacancies on our volunteer team. These vacancies will need to be filled before we can progress with the final planning for each level. In particular the most critical of these roles to fill is the eDofE Manager. The eDofE Manager will need to be in place before we can register students for the next level of the Award and activities cannot be backdated.
2021 / 22 Registration
As in previous years everyone will be required to register their interest by completing a registration form using this link: https://forms.gle/zEkaFhQwi5pJBsjm9
Once the form is complete it will generate a Consent Form which will be emailed to the parent’s email address. Please follow the instructions on the email which will explain where to send a signed copy of the Consent Form and how to make payment of the Registration Fee (£50).
We have not increased the fees for a number of years but due to increasing costs we are currently reviewing our pricing and will advise the updated rates for expeditions by email in the coming weeks and at the Open Afternoon.
It is important to emphasise that the cost of taking part in the Award should never be a barrier to taking part and if you need help with the cost of the Award please approach Andy Allan (Chair of Trustees) or Roz Swarbrick (Treasurer) in confidence. We have a funding in place to provide support where it is needed.
2021 / 22 Open Afternoon – Sunday 14th November 5pm
Whilst we would have liked to hold the Open Afternoon in person at AKRFC given the rise in coronavirus infections in Trafford, and the fact that it worked well as a Teams call last year, we have decided to use Teams again for this years Open Afternoon.
A link to the Teams Meeting will be included in the email generated on completion of the Registration Form. The Teams Meeting will take place on Sunday 14th November at 5pm
It is not essential for existing members and their parents to attend the Open Afternoon but given that our Bronze cohort for 2020/21 were unable to complete expeditions this year we do recommend that if you are moving onto Silver you attend the Open Afternoon as a refresher on the arrangements for expedition training and completion.
We always prioritise offering places to our existing members who are moving up to the next level. Please feel free to share the link to the registration page to others who may be interested in joining our centre.
As noted above we have a number of vacancies in our volunteer team. We are always on the look out for people who enjoy the outdoors and are able to join the Expedition team, but in addition this year we are particularly keen to hear from anyone who can help with a number of management and administrative roles as follows:
- eDofE Manager
- eDofE Mentors
- Bronze Expedition Planning Coordinators
- Gold Expedition Planning Coordinators
Please refer to the job descriptions on the following page for further information and contact Emma firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in any of these roles.
We are also looking for volunteers to help with the equipment stores including assistance with equipment checks/audit before the new season starts and helping the existing stores team on the kit collection and return nights for the expeditions (on a rota). If you are interested in this role please contact Louise Hayward : email@example.com
In March 2020 we had to cancel arrangements for our Annual Awards Presentation evening at which we present the Bronze and Silver Certificates and pin badges to those completing their Gold Award (they receive a separate invitation to the St James Palace for their Certificate presentation). We will review the position in January 2022 and hope to re-introduce the Annual Awards evening in the Spring of 2022.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
- Setting up participants on eDofe system
- Allocation of participants to groups & amending where needed
- Moving up levels on eDofE
- Section approvals
- Assessor report approvals
- Assisting with drop in sessions to advise participants how to complete eDofe
- Answering emails from your groups with queries
- Main point of contact for any eDofE questions
- Section approvals, when submitted for checking
- Assessor report approvals & evidence checking
- Assisting with drop-in sessions to advise participants how to complete eDofe
- Answering emails from your groups with queries with regards to eDofE
- Checking all candidates sections are up to date
Expedition Planning Coordinators *
- Assist with the administration for the section, liaising with the expedition/training leaders
- Organise participants into groups and keep the eDofe Mgr informed of any changes
- Update volunteers on training nights & expeditions to check availability
- Booking campsites
- Collection of routes proposed by groups for practice and qualifying expeditions and approval by AAP (Gold Level only)
- Liaising with stores, to book collection & return dates and advise group dynamics for equipment prior to collection
- Printing and sorting of consent forms in advance of expeditions
- Liaise with the Treasurer to provide a list of all Expedition attendees and advise of any changes or late additions, to ensure that all expedition fees can be collected in advance
* Coordinators required for Bronze and Gold Award level